[rules-users] BRMS 6 Access Permissions Configuration - Not Restricting Custom Roles

Alexandre Porcelli porcelli at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 07:29:17 EDT 2014

On Aug 19, 2014, at 7:52 AM, 706826 <zahid.ahmed at emirates.com> wrote:

> I want to put access control on the BRMS repository/project access, so that
> developer-A can only work on repository-A. We have a central BRMS which has
> one repository per project. We have 20 projects and have 20 repository, one
> for each project.

Sounds good! Just one tip: project access control won't be supported anymore,
so the control should be on repository level.

> We strongly want that user working on project-A must have access only on
> project-A in BRMS.

So the use of 1:1 relation between project and repo is really the way to go.

> I read the documentation that says,
>
> *"The user either has to belong into a role that has access to the
> repository or to a role that belongs into an orgazinational group that has
> access to the repository. These restrictions can be managed with the command
> line config tool."*
>
> Our implementation to the above doc statement is to create custom roles for
> each of our project. Then assign developer , analyst and admin permissions
> to the roles and then assign these project specific roles only to the
> project users. This way each project will have its own roles. And users
> under those roles will be able to access only that project and repository in
> BRMS.

Why not use Organization Units (OU) for such restrictions? IIRC, respository restrictions are based on OUs not on role.

> *Problem*
>
> To do this we simply ran KIE-CONFIG-CLI commands like "add-role-repo" and
> considered that roles got added to the BRMS. BUT WE ARE UNABLE to associate
> the permission (read/write, developer/admin) to our custom roles.
> and upon login we are getting error "Login Failed : UNAuthorized"
>
> *QUESTION * How can we have the ACL implemented in BRMS. Is there something
> which we are missing.

I think you should consider use OUs for such need - much like GitHub does.