[rules-users] Drools 6.0.1 micro benchmark Miss Manners troubles

Tom DC neosniperkiller at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 17:00:12 EST 2014

Hello,

For my master thesis I'm benchmarking different rule engines by making use
of the micro benchmarks Miss Manners, Waltz and Waltzdb.

In the previous version of Drools Expert (5.5.0) the results were
surprisingly fast!
So when I saw the release of the latest Drools Expert version, 6, I was
wondering if there would be a difference in execution time as well.

So I started making a new project, using Netbeans, and added the old
benchmark code and modified the imports according to the example projects
(there is a benchmark project included in the latest release of Drools). I
also checked for possible differences between the old code and the new, but
didn't find any.

When I now run the benchmark for Miss Manners, it seems that Drools is
unable to even solve the easiest problem with 16 visitors. It keeps on
executing the same rule over and over without going to the next one when it
becomes available.

To see if this was a problem in my custom edition of the ruleset, I also ran
the example benchmark, but also noticed that this one could not run the Miss
Manners benchmark anymore.

Did somebody already figure out what is wrong with this benchmark?

Thx

Tom DC