[rules-users] Drools 6.0.1 micro benchmark Miss Manners troubles

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Fri Jan 3 17:48:39 EST 2014

Those “benchmarks” were develop in the mid 80s, they don’t have any relevancy to judging the performance of something like Drools 6.0. For instance it would not benefit in anyway from the lazy algorithm provided in 6.0, as it uses a “context’ root object, which is no longer needed.

If those “benchmarks” aren’t running right now, it’s because they rely on a very specific ordering of the matches for a given rule - which is based on the OPS5 conflict resolution strategy. We don’t support this strategy, as it’s too complex for general use.

What you have to ask is, even if they do run - what does that tell you? What are you learning about that engine and where it performs well and where it doesn’t? We don’t learn anything of specific details, from those.

Imho you should probably look into develop a set of micro benchmark’s, that look to stress specific parts of the engine. So that from each benchmark, we learn specific details about the engines behaviour for that configuration.

For 6.0 I’d be very interested to try and prove how, when and how much the lazy algo can help, it’s not something we’ve had time ourselves to figure out yet.

Mark