[rules-users] Is OptaPlanner the right tool for the job?

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 09:09:34 EDT 2014

On 25-03-14 13:12, Andrzej Raczkowski wrote:
> Hello all OptaPlanner geeks! :)
> This is my first post on this list. I would be very grateful if
> somebody could give me any advice in this matter (details below).
>

> We need to plan the schedule for repair units consisting of few people
> with some particular skills and equipment.
>
> What we know / What the Client has:
> 1. tasks - different tasks have different attributes like:
> a) priority
> b) time needed to fix a problem
> c) number of employees needed
> d) employees' skills
> i) destination coordinates of the task to perform (we can use GIS to
> get road costs)
> 2. established number of employees working according to work schedule
> and having particular skills
> 3. established number of vehicles and equipment
>
> What we want - to be able to plan tasks with the assumption that a
> good schedule:
> 1. will 'keep in mind' all limitations (number of employees and equipment)
> 2. will plan all tasks in the shortest possible amount of time.
>
> We want to optimize time that it takes to perform all tasks, and time
> would be the only flexible feature here.
>
> Is OptaPlanner the right tool to this kind of problems?

Sounds like a typical vehicle routing problem.

Take a look at these video's:
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hp_Qg1hFgE
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxO3UFmtAPg
And the VRP example.

To incoorporate the GIS system, Roman wrote an interesting blog about
doing that in practice, find links here:
   http://www.optaplanner.org/learn/testimonialsAndCaseStudies.html

hth