[rules-users] halting on sub-optimal solution - OptaPlanner

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Fri May 2 12:01:18 EDT 2014

It might be stuck in a local optima, some things to check:

A) Read the section "score trap" in the docs, to verify you don't have a
score trap

B) The default move types (<changeMoveSelector> and <swapMoveSelector>)
aren't strong enough to escape local optima.
B1) Try adding a <pillarSwapMoveSelector>.
I am adding a pillarChangeMove for 6.1.0.Beta4, and probably also
support for selecting subpillars.
B2) Take a look at that suboptimal best solution and figure out what
course-grained move it needs to do to escape the local optima.
Then either creates a custom Move (see docs "MoveListFactory")
B3) or compose the build-in ones with <cartesianProductMoveSelector> and
mimicSelection.

C) For very small datasets, tabu search's entity size can be too large
(especially with subchain move selectors and pillar move selectors).
Tabu ratio (see docs) is a way around that.

D) If your dataset is really small, you can always just switch to brute
force
or the much faster branchAndBound (as of 6.1.0.Beta3).
Note: neither scale to medium/big datasets.

HTH