[rules-users] How to set up KIE WB + Drools Camel Server 6.0.1

rt_olsson roland.olsson at gmail.com
Mon May 5 10:47:51 EDT 2014

Hi.

I'm currently in the process of setting up a Drools (6.0.1) environment from
scratch. The web applications are deployed on Tomcat (7.0.52) and everything
is using an MySQL (5.6.13) database. The goal is to have the KIE Workbench
up and running, together with jBPM and Drools. We also want to communicate
with Drools/jBPM via some kind of REST/SOAP service(s).

I have cloned the Drools source code repositories and built the various
binaries from there.

This is what I've done:

1) Installed Tomcat 7.0.52
 a) applied configuration for Bitronix TM and the local MySQL server
(according to instructions in KIE WB README)
2) Deployed Drools Camel Server 6.0.1
(drools-camel-server-example-6.0.1.Final)
 a) added a dependency to kie-ci to the pom.xml file
 b) built and deployed to the local Tomcat server
 c) in WEB-INF/classes/knowledge-services.xml, changed the kie:kbase
packages attribute to reference "com.acme.drools"
 d) restarted the webapp
3) Built and deployed KIE WB 6.0.1 (kie-wb-6.0.1.Final-tomcat7) to the local
Tomcat server
 a) applied Tomcat specified configuration according to the README file
 b) restarted the webapp
4) In KIE WB:
 a) created a new repository
 b) created a new organizational unit and attached it to the new repository
 c) created a project
 d) in the project I created one guided decision table with one accompanying
data model class, all this in the same package "com.acme.drools". The
decision table matches the defined class and various attribute values
combinations. If there is a match the rule's action is to set a new
attribute of the object.
 e) built and deployed the project to the local Maven repository

At this point I can't see any evidence in the logs that the Drools Camel
server really picks up the newly created kjar. How do I know if it has?
Should I expect it to load the jar? Do I maybe need to configure something
more or differently to make the two apps work together?

5) Via the Drools Camel REST API, I then inserted a fact that should trigger
the rule created and deployed in 4d+e. Unfortunately, it doesn't. Nothing
happens.

I can't get this to work. It is obviously something that I don't fully
understand when it comes to the interaction between KIE WB and Drools.

Does anyone out there have a small example of a working setup of KIE WB and
Drools Camel Server __with__ integration of the two through Maven?

Regards
Roland