[seam-dev] Seam 3 space on JBoss Community

Gavin King gavin.king at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 16:48:18 EDT 2010

Folks, I've listened to all the arguments. I really have. I'm not
going to re-argue the case here, since we would just be beating a dead
horse. And I've taken all these arguments into account in making the
decision that no, we are not going to use the jboss.org infrastructure
instead of the purpose-built software that we created for our own
special requirements.

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Lincoln Baxter, III
<lincolnbaxter at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can personally submit my frustration as a new module lead -
> seamframework.org is not enough to meet my needs in:
>
> Engaging the community - promoting the project.

How does the wiki software affect your ability to "engage the
community"? Actually, hibernate.org and seamframework.org have a much,
much better and deeper track record of community building and
community engagement than jboss.org.

> Staying aware of what the community is doing, asking for, struggling with,
> talking about. I'm cut out completely on seamframework.org. I can't get
> email notifications,

Geez. Use the Atom feed like I do. It's much more convenient. Or spend
5 mins writing a little bit of code to extend the existing email
notification stuff in seam wiki. This is going to be way less work
than migrating content to a new infrastructure.

> I can't paste links to replies, other threads on the
> site itself, or URLs with query=parameters (without using the  plain text
> mode which is just terrible.)

Huh?! I post links to comments and threads all the time. It's totally trivial.

> Providing logically organized, clear, and navigable information. How can I
> establish the expectations and guidelines for development on these modules
> when I can't put that on a site that isn't confused with Seam 2 already?

This is not an issue of what software platform we run on. We can
install as many instances of Seam Wiki as we like. And I don't see why
we can't put legacy Seam2-related content in a different area of the
same site. That's just silly.

> These are just a few of the issues I've encountered - aside from the fact
> that the site is frequently down and is always semi-responsive (5-15s per
> request). It's struggling to keep up with our needs.

Funny, I have not seen it down any time in the past 2 years.
Responsiveness is perfectly fine for me, and can easily be improved by
moving it to a new box in the USA.