[teiid-designer-dev] Teiid In JCA Container

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Mon Oct 19 11:49:37 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 10:36 -0400, John Doyle wrote:
> Has there been any discussion concerning how these changes effect the attractiveness embedded of Teiid?  I'm concerned that it will be less attractive in OEM opportunities, and not necessarily in any specific technical sense, but that it's more 'heavyweight' because it requires a container.
Yes. We will not loose "embedded" configuration. Teiid can use "JBossEmbedded" for this. If the "JBossEmbedded" proves to be heavy weight then we need to come up a "profile" like "web profile" in JBoss AS which does not contain unnecessary services like ejb, jms email etc. This can be done later with out any changes to code.

> I know you mentioned JBJCA for future embedded deployments, can that replace all the services of the container or our current implementations, or would there be some loss of functionality?

Do not know yet, as they they do not have too many details on their
site. In those cases, we would either need integrate them from JBoss AS
or stick to JBoss Embedded. This project sounds good, they have ways go
in supporting features.

> I need to read up on JCA, but there are some unique connection management concerns with the SalesForce connector (close one and they all close) that might have to be resolved.

With the Connector API as before, you do have opportunity to wrap any
connections that you want handle yourself.

> Thanks for writing this up, this is just the kind of detail I need to see to really understand the future vision of Teiid and see the implications.
Thanks. Please do as this is a very important step and we want to go in
the right direction.

Ramesh..