[teiid-designer-dev] [teiid-dev] Defining Data Roles

Ken Johnson kejohnso at redhat.com
Mon Feb 8 11:55:25 EST 2010

Ramesh Reddy wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 14:37 -0500, Ted Jones wrote:
>
>> So the roles would be defined in the Designer and the users would be created and assigned to the roles in JON?
>>
>> If so, that seems like a reasonable approach.
>>

> No, the role references will be created in the Designer, and those
> references will be mapped to actual roles in the JON/JOPR. In the
> absence of this mapping, runtime will try to use the reference name as
> actual name. This will help us through testing at design time with out
> use of another tool to configure these details.

It might be useful for this to be configurable behavior.  In dev,
perhaps you want to run without security and no-mapping scenarios should
be ignored or defaulted.  In test/prod, you may want an error if a role
reference is not explicitly mapped.

> Creation of a user or creation of role is not the functionality of this
> module, those should be handled by who ever handles security domains.
> Currently I do not see this in the JOPR tool, that is something we need
> to open a dialog with JOPR team and see where this is on their roadmap.

The question is who "owns" the group-role and role->reference mapping
information, from both a UI and persistence perspective.