[teiid-users] additional URL parms

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Thu Jul 15 16:12:06 EDT 2010

Can you do me favor and use forms at
http://community.jboss.org/en/teiid?view=discussions

for questions. It has better formatting for code and easily searchable
than mailing list. Thanks.

Your answer is below.

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 16:32 -0400, Charles Simon wrote:
> I am trying to use the additional properties.  The "key=value" pairs
> after the semi-colon in the URL or set as
> TeiidDataSource.setAdditionalProperties(...).
>
> I cannot figure out where/how these additional properties get passed to
> my translator.  When are they available so I can capture them for use in
> my ResultSetExecution object?  I thought they would get passed into my
> subclasses for ExecutionFactory or BasicConnetionFactory.  Or possibly
> they need to parameters of my BasicConnction subclass?
>
> What am I missing?

No, they never get passed to your Translator. These are connection
properties that may be dynamic in nature, that *may* influence the how
query results are generated based if passed to translator. Once the VDB
is built, the generation of the results is defined, and should be same
for all users. So, no per user properties.

If you defined properties in your 'ExecutionFactory' as defined here

http://docs.jboss.org/teiid/7.0.0/developer-guide/en-US/html_single/#d0e516

using @TranslatorProperty, then those properties can be supplied through
"vdb.xml". For example, say you defined "foo" property and its get/set
methods, then in "vdb.xml" (check the additional "translator" fragment)

<vdb name="imageVDB" version="1">

    <property name="UseConnectorMetadata" value="cached" />

    <model name="Images">
        <source name="mysql" translator-name="mysql"
connection-jndi-name="java:imageDS"/>
    </model>

   <translator name="extended-mysql" type="mysql">
   	<property name="foo" value"bar"/>
   </translator>

</vdb>

The value will be injected into your translator at invocation time.

Seems like this is missing from our docs. can you log JIRA on that, we
will update.

Thanks

Ramesh..