[teiid-users] Question on the best way to fit teiid into our project infrastructure

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Thu Jun 3 17:37:44 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 22:05 +0000, Hong Yi wrote:
> 1. If Java Applet accesses vdb via JDBC, is Teiid Application Server a
> must to have?
Yes. Actually for Teiid 7.0 it is JBoss AS 5.1.0 + Teiid runtime.

> If so, do we need to install Teiid Application Server on the same
> machine as iRODS server that hosts physical data?
Not really. You can install any where you want. If you are using iRods
as data source, it must be accessible from Teiid server.

> Can we install teiid designer to build a vdb on a different machine
> and then deploy the vdb to Teiid server or Application Server for web
> access?
Absolutely. Building a VDB is design time activity. Typically this is
installed on a developer's workstation and VDB gets built. Once the VDB
is built then it needs to be deployed into Teiid runtime which may on
production server somewhere else.

> 2. I can add a web service model in a vdb in teiid designer and test
> the operations successfully in teiid designer, but how can I deploy
> the web services embedded in the teiid vdb to a web server so that the
> web services can be accessed by any web applications?
As of now we currently do not have a way to deploy the VDB with web
service models and expect to invoke a SOAP call. This is currently under
being developed. This may be ready by 7.0 final, but it will be surely
available in Teiid 7.1. So, I would suggest using JDBC interface until
we get this fixed. There are alternatives to be able to do this, check
out http://community.jboss.org/message/524162#524162

Ramesh..