[webbeans-dev] Terminology

Matt Drees matt.drees at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 18:21:52 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 5:02 AM, Pete Muir <pmuir at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 21 Dec 2008, at 07:32, Gavin King wrote:
>
>  Oracle have proposed that we remove the term "Web Bean" from the
>> specification. I'm therefore searching for alternative terminology.
>> Please let me know your opinions and suggestions.
>>
>> Here's one possibility:
>>
>> Web Bean -> injectable type
>> simple Web Bean -> injectable Java class
>> enterprise Web Bean -> injectable EJB
>>

> I really don't like this.

Me either.

>  Or:
>>
>> Web Bean -> contextual type
>> simple Web Bean -> contextual Java class
>> enterprise Web Bean -> contextual EJB
>>

> This is better.

I agree.

> As I said before, I prefer bean to type/class/EJB

Yeah, "bean" seems less overloaded than the other terms here.

> Web Bean -> contextual bean
> simple Web Bean -> contextual JavaBean
> enterprise Web Bean -> contextual EJB

On the whole, though, I think Web Beans is a better name.  It has a lot of
recognition already.  It seems less boring than the alternatives mentioned
here.
I also feel like "simple web bean" will be easier for me to say as I talk to
my coworkers about them; "contextual Java class" doesn't come out as nice.

I understand that the "web" part of web beans is non optimal, but I haven't
seen anything that I believe is better.  If I think of something I'll speak
up.

-Matt Drees