[webbeans-dev] Re: @Supports

Gavin King gavin at hibernate.org
Sun Nov 23 16:27:19 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Scott Ferguson <ferg at caucho.com> wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2008, at 10:56 AM, Gavin King wrote:

> Do you have an example in mind?  I don't understand what use case is
> motivating the auto-proxy generation feature.

Imagine the classic "mixin" inheritance case. This would let me mixin
two interfaces, and compose together one or more classes that
implement those interfaces into a single class, without writing all
those nasty degating methods, and having my code break when a new
method is added to one of the interfaces.

> Or if that auto-proxy generation is useful in itself, shouldn't it be
> decoupled from the @Produces concept?

Well, remember that @Composes is a *competing proposal* to @Prototype.

* @Composes *is* totally decoupled from @Produces
* @Prototype doesn't have anything to do with proxying/delegation

They're actually quite different features, that just happen to both
provide a solution to a common problem: creating reusable classes that
present a set of "identities" to clients.

gavin.king at gmail.com