[weld-dev] No-snapshots

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 15:53:10 EST 2009

I've always been of the opinion that snapshots are a bad idea for
multi-module projects. It's a bit of a pain at first when you are
maintaining all the modules, but as the teams diversify, it becomes a huge
pain to get bitten by a broken snapshot and not understand why it broke or
how to fix it. Much better is to depend on releases.

If you happen to be developing across modules, you will have a larger burden
to coordinate the versions...but that is the trade-off to modularization. We
already know monolithic builds eventually meet their doom.

-Dan

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Pete Muir <pmuir at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've switched us to a "no-snapshots" policy for Weld (both core and
> API). This helps improve the reliability of our builds, and makes it
> easier to do tagged builds (something Sun need in the run up to the
> GlassFish release). Currently this is only enforced manually, but I am
> looking at adding enforcing this to the build.
>
> Of course, you will still want to use snapshots locally (likely for
> the TCK). To do this, run with, for example: -Dcdi.tck.version=1.0.0-
> SNAPSHOT (other useful version properties are weld.api.version and
> jboss.interceptor.version).
>
> Pete

Dan Allen
Registered Linux User #231597