[wildfly-dev] EE level java:comp/DefaultDataSource for WildFly 8...

Jaikiran Pai jpai at redhat.com
Mon Sep 23 11:14:36 EDT 2013

On Monday 23 September 2013 08:34 PM, Jesper Pedersen wrote:
> On 09/23/2013 11:01 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>> On Monday 09 September 2013 09:53 PM, Scott Marlow wrote:
>>> I'm kind of caught on this requirement, since we already have a JPA
>>> level default datasource setting (for JPA container deployment).  I need
>>> to know if we are going to add a default datasource
>>> (java:comp/DefaultDataSource) setting to WildFly, so I can align with that.
>> I think we should add support for java:comp/DefaultDataSource since it's
>> required by spec. Furthermore, this isn't essentially just JPA thing
>> since such and injected/lookedup datasource could even be used in a
>> non-JPA application.
> I think the best solution is to add an element in the :ee: subsystem
> that points to a JNDI name defined in the :datasources: subsystem.
I don't think we need any configuration in this case since the spec
states that the product vendor just make available a pre-configured
datasource (which we already do) under that JNDI name (right now we do
in under a JBoss specific JNDI name). So I think it can be as simple as
a linkref kind of thing within the code where we point
java:comp/DefaultDataSource to the H2 datasource's JNDI name, without
any additional configurations.

Of course (like the spec states) the user can always override this by
configuring a datasource of their own and then using:

@Resource(name="java:comp/DefaultDataSource",
lookup="jndi-name-of-their-new-datasource")

-Jaikiran