[wildfly-dev] WFCORE-665

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Apr 27 12:36:48 EDT 2015

On 4/27/15 11:25 AM, Jason Greene wrote:

>> On Apr 27, 2015, at 11:13 AM, Brian Stansberry <brian.stansberry at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jay,
>>
>> Re: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFCORE-665
>>
>> I wanted to discuss this here, just because it's a potential change in
>> longstanding behavior, so it could use more visibility than JIRA
>> comments or pull requests get.
>>
>> I think the simple solution is just to invert the priority between
>> groupVM and hostVM in the call to the JVMElement constructor at
>

> The key question I have is if that will break people, and in particular if it will break old configs. If we are convinced that the existing approach was lightly used, or its just totally broken, we might be able to live with the break, but otherwise we might need some sort of resolution ordering property.

It's possible, but it seems like an edge case. We merge the configs, so
it's not a matter of completely ignoring the lower precedence stuff. So
this would only affect someone if they declare some config item in both
the host level and the server-group level and expect the server-group to
take precedence.

For sure we'd need to audit this in detail though to look for gotchas.
Stuff like unconfigured defaults suddenly taking precedence over
configured values. (That one sounds like a bug anyway though.)

Senior Principal Software Engineer