[wildfly-dev] WildFly Plugin Core Project

James Perkins jperkins at redhat.com
Wed Jun 1 20:29:03 EDT 2016

Hello All,
I've been asked a few times about creating a WildFly Plugin Core project
with some of the utilities from the wildfly-maven-plugin. Since it came up
twice today alone I'm wondering if we should have a separate
wildfly-plugin-core project.

This would be useful if we wanted to have a Gradle or SBT plugin as well.
Maybe it's useful for JBoss Tools too. WildFly Arquillian could use it too.

The idea would be to separate out the code that creates the deployment
operations as well as the code that creates and launches a container
process (maybe). Also expose of the helper stuff done to check the status
of a sever, get all the server groups of a managed domain, etc. It would
probably be fairly small overall. Essentially just some utilities that
create some common operations so consumers don't need to know how the
operation needs to be constructed.

If it sounds reasonable the next step would be to determine if it should be
it's own project or just a maven module in the wildfly-maven-plugin. The
only reason I'd lean towards it's own project is to keep the release stream
separate from the wildfly-maven-plugin.

Thoughts?

--
James R. Perkins