[wildfly-dev] GRPC subsystem proof of concept

Jason Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Mon Dec 18 18:12:27 EST 2017

> On Dec 18, 2017, at 4:53 PM, Stuart Douglas <stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com <mailto:stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 3:20 AM, Rostislav Svoboda <rsvoboda at redhat.com <mailto:rsvoboda at redhat.com>> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> tl;dr: I'm not sure WF is the right place for GRPC integration
>
> 1) footprint
>   io.grpc: grpc-core grpc-protobuf grpc-stub with deps take 6.1 MB (using version 1.5.0)
>
> Not much we can do about that, but it won’t be loaded unless you are using it.

Also once we have provisioning then it could be easily removed and/or kept as an optional feature.

> 2) speed of development
>   version 1.5.0 in July
>   version 1.8.0 in November
>   speed itself is not the main problem, point 3) is more concerning
>
> 3) changes in minor releases
> I tried mvn clean package -Dgrpc.version=1.8.0 on undertow-grpc and got compilation failure with 18 errors
>
> Yea, that is somewhat annoying. I don’t think it affects the wire protocol though, just the Java SPI (even though they provide an integration SPI I don't think anyone has really tried to use it before, and provide a transport outside what is already provided in the distribution).

Even with the SPI  it looks fairly reasonable: going through the history it appears they deprecate stuff first, then many releases later remove the deprecated methods. Of course I might have missed something.

-Jason