[wildfly-dev] Version notifications at library init

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 17:15:43 EDT 2017

Since 2007 at least [1].  I believe it came from an earlier set of
standards which predate my employment with JBoss but that was so long
ago that I don't recall for certain.

That said, I'm open to revising how we do this as well.  The log
segregation tools we theoretically have at our disposal are:

• Level
• Category
• NDC
• MDC
• Source class/method/file/line
• Arbitrary filter

However, I don't really have any bright ideas as to a *good* way to do
this (which is simple and hard for users to break, but also doesn't
screw up performance).

[1] https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingStandards/version/2

> We already have codes for a lot of these messsages so there’s not much added noise.
>
> FWIW I hope we don’t have a standard to log every lib version. We already are way too noisy at boot, IMHO. If someone has a nifty way to write these to the server log but not the console that would be lovely. And I’d like a pony too. ;)
>
>> On Mar 28, 2017, at 2:10 PM, David M. Lloyd <david.lloyd at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is relatively minor but I've been sitting on it for a pretty long
>> time so I wanted to see if anyone had a strong opinion about it.
>>
>> In the past few years, we've internationalized many of our projects, and
>> in the process assigned unique, searchable codes to exceptions and
>> INFO-and-higher log messages.  In the meantime, as part of our existing
>> logging standards, we always log a version string for each library as it
>> is activated (this lets us quickly identify which versions of which
>> libraries are active, in order to aid in troubleshooting, etc.).
>>
>> At present it is not part of our logging standard to assign a searchable
>> code to the version message.  It has been suggested that we begin doing
>> so.  If we did, I would recommend that the code be '0' for such messages
>> as most if not all of our projects use '1' as the lowest message ID.
>>
>> The advantage of doing so is that it allows a given library's version
>> message to be quickly found in a log file, even if the language of the
>> log file is not known to the searcher.  The disadvantage is that it
>> brings in additional noise to the log which makes it harder to read.
>>
>> Does anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other, or better
>> yet, some pros or cons to add?
>>
>> --
>> - DML

- DML