[aerogear-dev] AeroGear project structure and the website

Hylke Bons hbons at redhat.com
Thu Feb 20 09:06:26 EST 2014

Hey everyone,

So we've been doing continuous improvements to the website. Corinne and
Erik have been making some awesome progress shaping up the new
documentation section (roadmap here:
http://aerogear.org/docs/planning/roadmaps/AeroGearWebSite/) according
to the mockups
(https://raw2.github.com/hbons/aerogear-design/master/website-restructure/aerogear-project.png).
We've split stuff up into "Setup Howtos", "Examples", "API
Documentation" and "Guides". I don't think there was much controversy
here and there's been made some headway already in unifying some of the
documentation.

The most important change in the website mockups was that instead of
focusing on platform branding, the focus is on solving use cases that
"we happen to support on these platforms". So Core/Push/Security are the
main players over iOS/Android/JS, although these are still referenced
everywhere and presented in a graphic on top of the home page.

Before we can work on the project homepage sections and download areas
of the website we should have a discussion about how the AeroGear
project itself is structured. The project seems to have grown
organically and new modules have been added here and there. There are
some of these that make the structure of the project more complicated
that it needs to be (in my opinion) to present it in a simple way to
developers visiting the website.

I've done some research on the project structure and have written down
the findings, as well as points where there's room for improvement and
possible solutions, here: http://oksoclap.com/p/AeroGearModuleUntangling

TL;DR: The most important questions that we need to answer are these:
- "If I download a library on one platform, what must I download to use
the same features on an other platform?"
-"Is this a part I use on the client, or on the server side?"
-"What do we mean when talking about different AeroGear
subprojects/modules?"

One solution might be:
https://raw2.github.com/hbons/aerogear-design/master/website-restructure/aerogear-modules.png
I've made a lot of assumptions here, and it might not work, but I'd like
to hear your thoughts on it.

It would clarify a lot if we could harmonise the different downloads
across platforms, either by providing single download solutions or
splitting everything up and naming all the parts consistently. I'm
interested in what the technical issues might be, as I wasn't around
when most of these decisions were made, or I simply missed them.

Thoughts or other ideas? :)

Thanks,

Hylke