[aerogear-dev] Aerogear Feature Request - Auto Increment Badge

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Wed Jul 16 10:31:04 EDT 2014

On Mon 14 Jul 2014 01:27:09 PM EDT, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> On Android that concept really is not there, as far as I know;

Correct.  GCM does have allowances for grouping push messages but that
isn't quite the same thing as Badges.

 From what I understand, badges are a hack in iOS to get around the lack
of a proper Notification System before version 5.  In Android to get
similar behavior the user would have to install a widget on their
launcher which looked like the icon for the app but updated with the
number of notifications.  It is my advised opinion that the
notification shade should be used instead.

> Natvie iOS this is what you get for free, when badge reaches the app.
>
> In Cordova-iOS this should be the same!
>
> Greetings!
> Matthias
>
> On Monday, July 14, 2014, keithdmoore94 <keith at kdmooreconsulting.com
> <mailto:keith at kdmooreconsulting.com>> wrote:
>
>     I noticed some of the other push server providers offer the
>     ability to keep
>     track of the badge and increment it as a new notification comes
>     in.  Maybe
>     the client could set the badge to "increment" or "+1", etc.  The
>     Aerogear
>     Unified Push Server would then increment the badge and send the
>     notification.
>
>     Any thoughts ?
>

>     --

> Sent from Gmail Mobile