[aerogear-dev] Differences between Firefox OS "native" Push lib and AeroGear's Push adapter

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Fri Jul 25 07:04:35 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Tadeas Kriz <tkriz at redhat.com> wrote:

>> Tadeas Kriz
>
> On 25 Jul 2014, at 11:04 am, Daniel Bevenius <daniel.bevenius at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >5. don’t use the url as a deviceToken (might not comply with Mozzila’s
> SimplePush specs)
> The deviceToken is an UPS concept and there is nothing in the SimplePush
> spec which is violated in this case.
>
> I thought that deviceTokens were changed from a generated value to the URL
> just to comply with Mozzila’s SimplePush specs.

Nope

> Matzew, why was the generated token removed then?

It was the channelID before - but that should not be exposed.
In GCM devices are identified via registrationID
In APNs devices are identified va deviceToken
(both are somewhat the same - but different names)

In SimplePush devices are identifeid v/ the URL of the pushEndpoint (a
backend uses that endpoint to notify _THAT_ client, regardless of how many
channels it has subscribed)

So, that lead us to make the change (see history of this threa)

-M