[aerogear-dev] Beta1 of the UnifiedPush Server 1.0.0 released

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Tue Jul 29 08:50:17 EDT 2014

Today we are announcing the first beta release of our 1.0.0 version. After
the big overhaul, including a brand new AdminUI with the last release
<http://matthiaswessendorf.wordpress.com/2014/07/07/unifiedpush-0-11/> this
release contains several enhancements:

   - iOS8 interactive notification support
   - increased APNs payload (2k)
   - Pagination for analytics
   - improved callback for details on actual push delivery
   - optimisations and improvements

The complete list of included items are avialble on our JIRA instance
<https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH/fixforversion/12323753>.
<https://gist.github.com/matzew/a87119d5c480cb357b24#ios8-interactive-notifications>iOS8
interactive notifications

Besides the work on the server, we have updated our Java
<https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-java-client> and Node.js
<https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-nodejs-client> sender
libraries to support the new iOS8 interactive notification message format.

If you curious about iOS8 notifications, Corinne Krych
<https://twitter.com/corinnekrych> has a detailed blog post
<http://corinnekrych.blogspot.fr/2014/07/ios8-interactive-notification-available.html>
on
it and how to use it with the AeroGear UnifiedPush Server.
<https://gist.github.com/matzew/a87119d5c480cb357b24#swift-support-for-ios>Swift
support for iOS

On the iOS client side Corinne Krych and Christos Vasilakis
<https://twitter.com/cvasilak> were also busy starting some Swift work: our
iOS registration SDK supports swift on this branch
<https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-push-ios-registration/tree/swift>. To
give you an idea how it looks, here is some code:

func application(application: UIApplication!,
didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken deviceToken: NSData!)
{
  // setup registration
  let registration =
  AGDeviceRegistration(serverURL: NSURL(string: "<# URL of the running
AeroGear UnifiedPush Server #>"))

    // attemp to register
    registration.registerWithClientInfo({ (clientInfo:
AGClientDeviceInformation!) in
        // setup configuration
        clientInfo.deviceToken = deviceToken
        clientInfo.variantID = "<# Variant Id #>"
        clientInfo.variantSecret = "<# Variant Secret #>"

        // apply the token, to identify THIS device
        let currentDevice = UIDevice()

        // --optional config--
        // set some 'useful' hardware information params
        clientInfo.operatingSystem = currentDevice.systemName
        clientInfo.osVersion = currentDevice.systemVersion
        clientInfo.deviceType = currentDevice.model
        },

        success: {
            println("UnifiedPush Server registration succeeded")
        },
        failure: {(error: NSError!) in
            println("failed to register, error: \(error.description)")
        })}

<https://gist.github.com/matzew/a87119d5c480cb357b24#demos>Demos

To get easily started using the UnifiedPush Server we have a bunch of
demos, supporting various client platforms:

   - Android
   - Apache Cordova (with jQuery and Angular/Ionic)
   - iOS

The simple HelloWorld examples are located here
<https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-push-helloworld/releases/latest>.
Some more advanced examples, including a Picketlink secured JAX-RS
application, as well as a Fabric8 based Proxy, are available here
<https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-push-quickstarts/releases/latest>.

For those of you who that are into Swift, there Swift branches for these
demos as well:

   -
   https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-push-helloworld/tree/swift/ios-swift
   - https://github.com/cvasilak/aerogear-push-quickstarts/tree/swift

<https://gist.github.com/matzew/a87119d5c480cb357b24#feedback>Feedback

We hope you enjoy the bits and we do appreciate your feedback! Swing by on
our mailing list <https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/aerogear-dev>!
We are looking forward to hear from you!

NOTE: the Openshift online offering will be updated w/in the next day or two