[aerogear-dev] UPS Categories going forward

Sebastien Blanc scm.blanc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 10:14:02 EDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Summers Pittman <supittma at redhat.com> wrote:

> Y'all,
>
> Since I now have a GCM Topic PR up I figure it is time to revisit beefing
> up categories a bit.
>
> Before we discussed enhancing the server and client APIs so one could
> subscribe and unsubscribe to topics without unregistering and
> reregistering.  This will require a new endpoint on UPS and new code in all
> the libraries

I agree we need a  PUT /device/metadata (or smt like that) even if today we
support updating of existing installations; if you register an existing
device, it will just update its metadata
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/blob/master/service/src/main/java/org/jboss/aerogear/unifiedpush/service/impl/ClientInstallationServiceImpl.java#L69-L80

> We also discussed adding the ability to "route" messages to specific
> handlers based on what category the message was sent to.  This will require
> adding a field to all push messages that don't use GCM topics.  It will
> also require updates on the client code.

Can you elaborate a bit on that or point me to previous  discussions ?