[Aerogear-users] categories have been hijacked

Kelvin Lunsford kelvin at qantel.com
Tue Aug 11 00:43:39 EDT 2015

Hi Summers,

GCM topic messages go to all devices registered for the topic. Topic notifications cannot be restricted to an alias or list of aliases.

The way it worked before, and still works on ios, you can send a command to UPS with an "alias" name AND a "categories" name and it will only go to devices that have registered using that "alias" name AND that "categories" name.  UPS finds which devices meet the selection criteria and push notification requests are sent for those devices.

Requests with aliases and categories can target specific users in a group.

With real "categories" you can segment users into groups, so every device can be assigned a category, and sub-groups can be defined by using more than one category per device.  This is useful for geographic or organizational targeting.

I have no problem with GCM topics. Just make it a new feature.  Give me back my categories.

- Kelvin