[Aerogear-users] categories have been hijacked

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Tue Aug 11 08:31:25 EDT 2015

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 12:43 AM, Kelvin Lunsford <kelvin at qantel.com> wrote:

> Hi Summers,
>
> GCM topic messages go to all devices registered for the topic. Topic
> notifications cannot be restricted to an alias or list of aliases.
>
> The way it worked before, and still works on ios, you can send a command
> to UPS with an "alias" name AND a "categories" name and it will only go to
> devices that have registered using that "alias" name AND that "categories"
> name.  UPS finds which devices meet the selection criteria and push
> notification requests are sent for those devices.
>
> Requests with aliases and categories can target specific users in a group.
>
> With real "categories" you can segment users into groups, so every device
> can be assigned a category, and sub-groups can be defined by using more
> than one category per device.  This is useful for geographic or
> organizational targeting.
>
> I have no problem with GCM topics. Just make it a new feature.  Give me
> back my categories.

So the goal isn't to replace or hijack categories with topics. The goal is
to leverage Google's API fully and transparently to the UPS user so that we
make fewer calls and provide a better experience.  You have some great use
cases that haven't been brought up.  Keep in mind that the PRs open right
now are a "first draft" of the technology.  Feel free to join in on the
discussion about topics on aerogear-dev.  It is really important we do this
right and I think you can help with that.

Summers