[Aerogear-users] detect if an installation exists for a specified alias

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Wed Feb 1 16:30:50 EST 2017

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 3:49 PM, tomf67 <taram67 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> i have for my work the following need : i want to send a push notification
> to one user specified by its alias, but i need to know before or while
> sending if the alias is registered in aerogear (as i might then decide to
> use another channel of communication)
>
> I didn't find an adequate way to do this, the only way seems to use the API
> https://SERVER:PORT/CONTEXT/rest/applications/variantID/installations/ and
> specifiy the search parameter, but as the implementation uses many "like"
> it
> seems not performant enough to be done systematically.
>
> Is this doable in Aerogear ?

There isn't a specific API for searching for installations by variant and
alias.  (Matzew can double check me on this if I am wrong).

Your options are
   1) Give it a shot and see if it is too slow.  If you can live with the
performance then there really isn't any need to do anything.
   2) Implement the exact query you want in an external application and
work with that.  I'm not sure what the caching situation in UPS is so that
may make this not ideal.
   3) Fork UPS and Implement the query inside of UPS.  Bonus points, send
us a PR back.
   4) File a JIRA and we'll work on it.

How many variants are you expecting to have and how often will you run this
query?

Also, I'm curious, why do you want to know is an alias is registered?
There may be another/better workaround for your use case I haven't thought
of.