[bv-dev] TCK bootstrap - ExecutableType.NONE

Matt Benson mbenson at apache.org
Thu Mar 22 09:13:32 EDT 2018

To answer the big question: yes, the original code donation which formed
the basis of Apache BVal more or less "bolted" BV support onto a
proprietary validation framework. 1.1 changes brought this adaptation layer
to the very brink of maintainability, and the changes required for 2.0
would just have pushed it over. I was simply unable to countenance the
inelegance of the code necessary to continue on in that vein, and at least
one other member of our team had expressed similar dissatisfaction prior to
the advent of the 2.0 spec. My approach has therefore been to rewrite
substantial portions of BVal's code to make BV its primary focus and drop
support for the legacy validation API that had underlain earlier versions
of the project. The team accepted my work as the basis for our v2
implementation and we now continue to work towards passing the current TCK.

Regarding our progress there, I don't have the precise numbers in front of
me ATM, but I would put the ballpark figure at around 2/3 complete.

Thanks,
Matt