[cdi-dev] Async events. We need ideas to improve CDI-499

Jozef Hartinger jharting at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 03:39:09 EST 2015

We should enumerate all the arguments supporting async flag on an
observer. So far I have only seen one:

- an observer accessing @RequestScoped state would no longer be able to
do so since it would be run in a worker thread

I am eager to hear more arguments as this single one may not be enough
to justify the observer-async-flag design decision.

Remember that introducing fireAsync() itself does not break any existing
application because existing applications are using fire(). It's when an
existing application / library is modified to use fireAsync() when the
problem may occur. Such change should not be done blindly. As with any
other change, an author should consider possible consequences of the
change. Clearly documenting the fact that fireAsync() processing is done
in a different thread with a different @RequestScoped state may be
sufficient.

Jozef