[forge-dev] Changes to Forge Modules structure

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 11:08:19 EDT 2011

To clarify what I meant about using both modules as optional dependencies,
Koen's module should do something like this:

<dependencies>
    <module name="org.jboss.forge.shell.api" optional="true" />
    <module name="org.jboss.forge.shell-api" optional="true" />
</dependencies>

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Lincoln Baxter, III <
lincolnbaxter at gmail.com> wrote:

> The only reason I can see this affecting Koen is if he (in his tools
> module) referenced the "org.jboss.forge.shell-api" module directly, which
> has been moved to "org.jboss.forge.shell.api" Or if there are classes that
> he referenced that were available because of modularity errors, but now are
> not. What I would do in this case, however, is simply make both modules
> optional="true", which should prevent any breakage, then whichever is
> available will be used. If neither are available, it wasn't going to work
> anyway ;)
>
> I would try to make these changes for M4 even if you don't use the new
> SNAPSHOT version of Forge - sorry guys. I did not know :( Mailing list I
> should join?
>
> Nothing has changed with regard to how plugins are installed, but what
> *has* changed is what happens to plugins *when* they are installed - again,
> just to enable the proper modularity. But this should not be visible to the
> end user (or Tools.)
>
> ~Lincoln
>

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Max Rydahl Andersen <
> max.andersen at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> just on the day of jboss tools M4 code freeze…..doh ;)
>>
>> will this affect us Koen or are we for M4 "saved" by us bundling Forge ?
>>
>> …and will this affect plugin installation ?
>>
>> /max
>>
>> On Oct 20, 2011, at 09:13, Lincoln Baxter, III wrote:
>>
>> > I've had to make some changes to the Forge modules structure. I'm not
>> sure how this will affect what's been done in Tools so far, but... this
>> structure will help us keep modularity in the future. The previous module
>> structure was not scalable and was causing plugin classloader leaks.
>> >
>> > We can work out any issues, but hopefully there shouldn't be any :)
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > --
>> > Lincoln Baxter, III
>> > http://ocpsoft.com