[forge-dev] Forge at the Devoxx 2012 Hackergarten

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 01:22:15 EDT 2012

Now that JavaOne has wrapped up, time to jump back into planning for the
Devoxx event.

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Lincoln Baxter, III <
lincolnbaxter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys!
>
> This is great. I won't be at Devoxx this year (sorry Dan! I'm breaking
> tradition!) But next year I should be back on the bandwagon. It was too
> much turbulence.

Trust me, I understand. Like sailors on a ship, we trade off to keep the
boat on course :)

> Let me know how I can help for this event, though, and when it will be, in
> case you want me to lurk in any channels or hangouts to help folks. Last
> year the Hackergaarden kind of flopped for Forge because we didn't have
> much promotion, and not much interest from the crowd (they all wanted to
> hack on Scala or something.)

Last year we kind of just walked into it. This year, we are going in big.
The Red Hat event team will be helping to promote the event before and
during Devoxx. Of course, we should use any available channel we have to
communicate that this is going down.

Date: Tuesday, Nov 13, 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Link: http://lanyrd.com/2012/devoxx/syzdq/

The first step is identifying who will serve as the point person at the
event for Forge. Koen seems to be the man for the job. Koen, this won't
conflict with your talks. I'm also hoping that Paul will be willing to
participate.

My research shows that there are three keys to making this a successful
event:

1. Go for "Minimum viable pull request", then iterate
  - An agile approach (1 - 2 hour sprints) works well because it keeps
people focused on a goal and in sync
2. Be specific. Have a list of achievable goals from which people can
select or from which to build their own ideas.
3. Prepare a working environment or resources in advance.
  - I plan to have a file server there where we can stick downloads for
local copying. Ray will also have a bunch of JBoss Way-related media

At the end of the day, each group working on a hack will briefly present
the results (think lightning talk). The focus of that short presentation
should be on the idea, not necessarily the exact state of the code. In
other words, the point of the hackfest is to catalyze ideas and get people
participating, not necessarily to deliver a release (but certainly we won't
discourage it).

The other action item that we need from this thread is a wiki / web page
dedicated for the hackfest that has:

- Event info (for organic searches)
- Idea list (perhaps pulled from JIRA and augmented with supplemental ideas)
- How to setup environment for hacking on Forge or plugins (might just be
links to different resources, but that's fine, still important)

Lincoln, can you create a page on the forge site called hackfest or
hackathon and that way we can reuse the page each time there is a hackfest
somewhere? For the event info, we can just have a bullet list schedule of
upcoming hackfests (just one to start with). Then we can start populating
it with the information I've suggested and any other contributions.

-Dan

--
Dan Allen
Registered Linux User #231597