[forge-dev] Development of the Forge Website

George Gastaldi ggastald at redhat.com
Thu Apr 24 13:30:08 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I am developing the website based on the templates and I'd like to
discuss about the technologies to be used. I am personally in favor of
static generation, since:

- It's easier to maintain
- Changes can happen in a pull-request process.
- No need for a database or any external resources
- It's fast (because it's static)
- Can be deployed using Github's infrastructure
- Templates can be easily adapted

We already do this with the Forge 1 website and it's playing well so
far. However since I am not a big fan of Ruby, I am playing a bit with
JBake (which uses Freemarker) and found it quite interesting.

We could make it part of a CI job, and fire when changes in the
repository happens.

The development branch uses JSF+JPA and it's quite a burden to maintain
(sync changes to DB, etc) and it's slow.
I believe the best would be having the data available in Github as a
JSON/YAML file and use that in the website generation. Docs can also be
generated inside the website through git submodules (with the forge/docs
repository).

There is the advantage of not needing extra resources (Openshift gears
for example).

Thoughts?

--

*George Gastaldi | Senior Software Engineer*
JBoss Forge Team

Red Hat

See how it works at www.redhat.com <http://www.redhat.com/>

LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/company/3258288> Youtube