[forge-dev] [announcement] Forge 2.5.0.Final (Coal) is released!
lbaxter at redhat.com
Fri Apr 25 10:19:21 EDT 2014
We've moved to a once-per-month release cycle to keep up the momentum and make sure that users are not left waiting months for simple bug-fixes and features. To answer your question about compatibility, we try as hard as possible to be backwards compatible on each release - and we are using deprecation wherever necessary to try to keep this a reality. We occasionally need to introduce new APIs and features, and since we're using the semantic versioning scheme, forces us to increment our minor release version number. e.g. 2.4 vs 2.5. So an addon written for 2.5 will not run on 2.4, but the inverse is true.
Unfortunately, I have to admit we've broken backwards compatibility once since our initial 2.0.0.Final release (in the latest 2.5.0 release), but the changes were in extremely low-level non user-facing areas that should have little impact and see little use at this point, so we did not feel the need to increment to 3.0, certainly not so quickly.
In general, until 3.0.0 is released at some point in the future, all Addons written against the 2.x line should function "forever", and we are trying our hardest to make sure it stays that way.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony Patricio" <apatrici at redhat.com>
To: "George Gastaldi" <ggastald at redhat.com>
Cc: thecore at redhat.com, forge-users at lists.jboss.org, "Forge Dev List" <forge-dev at lists.jboss.org>
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2014 7:58:39 AM
Subject: Re: [announcement] Forge 2.5.0.Final (Coal) is released!
Quick question, you are on a frenetic release cycle, 6 releases in 3 months.
How compatible is the latest version with, let's say 2.1.1 ?
I'm just curious to know if that can hurt some users.
----- Original Message -----
From: "George Gastaldi" <ggastald at redhat.com>
To: forge-users at lists.jboss.org, "Forge Dev List" <forge-dev at lists.jboss.org>, thecore at redhat.com
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:48:09 PM
Subject: [announcement] Forge 2.5.0.Final (Coal) is released!
*JBoss Forge 2.5.0.Final* is now available!
The Forge Team is proud to announce that JBoss Forge 2.5.0.Final is now
available! This is the best release so far.
What's new and noteworthy?
* *Performance*: We have introduced more performance enhancements in
the Furnace runtime, so the shell and other features should feel
quite a bit snappier. Try it out and tell us your thoughts!
* *Templates addon refactoring*: We refactored the templates addon
with a cleaner and leaner API, check it out!
* *Component Upgrades*: We've upgraded to Weld 2.0.5.Final, Aesh 0.53
and Roaster 2.3.0.Final. More stability and new features available
And that's not all! Check out the issues below for more info.
Please let us know if you encounter any issues, or have any feedback on
usability, at http://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE.
A huge thank you to the following contributors of this release. You are
* Matej Briskar <https://github.com/mbriskar>
o FORGE-1603: AbstractJavaSourceCommand should have an overwrite flag
o FORGE-1755: NewFurnaceTestCommand should add test dependencies
to POM file as 'test' scope, and avoid putting addon versions in
the test case itself
* Ivan St. Ivanov <https://github.com/ivannov>
o Add a SetVersionCommand for the Java Compiled Projects
o FORGE-1746 Make sure that scaffolded ManyToOne relationships
without one part do not throw NullPointerException upon rendering
* Robert Balent <https://github.com/rbalent>
o FORGE-1450 -- Forge will correctly create enum attribute on entity.
* Adam Wy?uda <https://github.com/adamwy>
o Fix ProjectFactoryImpl.findProject() bug
* Try out Forge 2 in Eclipse via our Update Site
* Use Forge 2 in your CLI / Terminal by downloading and installing the
You can learn how to run the downloaded installation
via our docs.
Release Notes -- 23 issues were resolved since the last release.
Check out all the new stuff!
* [FORGE-1738 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1738>] --
addon-git-install fails to install projects from git if the project
is not available in any configured maven repository
* [FORGE-1745 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1745>] -- Cannot
handle Freemaker templates from a main
* [FORGE-1746 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1746>] --
NullPointerException when running scaffolded app in Wildfly
* [FORGE-1748 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1748>] -- Furnace
CLAC Whitelist throws NPE if accessed after removing an addon
* [FORGE-1754 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1754>] --
Configuration subsets are not writable
* [FORGE-1769 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1769>] -- API
version is not being set in the addon registry file when an addon is
* [FORGE-1759 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1759>] -- Upgrade
Furnace-CDI to Weld 2.0.5.Final
* [FORGE-1765 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1765>] -- Upgrade
to Roaster 2.3.0.Final
* [FORGE-1766 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1766>] -- Upgrade
to Aesh 0.53
* [FORGE-1015 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1015>] -- Java
source/target versions should be configurable in JavaCompilerFacet
* [FORGE-1729 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1729>] -- Test
harness should set the Configuration directory to use the test temp
dir by default
* [FORGE-1752 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1752>] -- JavaEE
dependencies from facets are not in the provided scope
* [FORGE-1755 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1755>] --
NewFurnaceTestCommand should add test dependencies to POM file as
'test' scope, and avoid putting addon versions in the test case itself
* [FORGE-1767 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1767>] -- Addon:
new command improvements
* [FORGE-1603 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1603>] --
AbstractJavaSourceCommand should have an overwrite flag
* [FORGE-1753 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1753>] -- Support
InputTypes.TEXTAREA rendering in Eclipse
* [FORGE-1756 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1756>] --
Furnace.startAsync() should return a Future that can be used to
block until the container has started.
* [FORGE-1760 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1760>] -- CDI
Commands do not follow naming guidelines for GUI
* [FORGE-1761 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1761>] -- Allow
@WithAttributes to configure the command line parameter name for a
* [FORGE-1762 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1762>] --
Generated REST resources reference a 'Customer' class
* [FORGE-1763 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1763>] -- Support
setup of WebSockets dependencies
* [FORGE-1768 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1768>] -- Create
"Addon: New Annotated UI Command" command
* [FORGE-1450 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGE-1450>] -- Cannot
create an enum attribute on an Entity
*George Gastaldi | Senior Software Engineer*
JBoss Forge Team
T: +55 11 3524-6169
M: +55 47 9711-1000
Better technology. Faster innovation. Powered by community collaboration.
See how it works at www.redhat.com <http://www.redhat.com/>
LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/company/3258288> Youtube
More information about the forge-dev