[forge-users] [announcement] Forge 2.5.0.Final (Coal) is released!

Lincoln Baxter lbaxter at redhat.com
Fri Apr 25 10:19:21 EDT 2014

Hey Anthony,

Great question!

We've moved to a once-per-month release cycle to keep up the momentum and make sure that users are not left waiting months for simple bug-fixes and features. To answer your question about compatibility, we try as hard as possible to be backwards compatible on each release - and we are using deprecation wherever necessary to try to keep this a reality. We occasionally need to introduce new APIs and features, and since we're using the semantic versioning scheme, forces us to increment our minor release version number. e.g. 2.4 vs 2.5. So an addon written for 2.5 will not run on 2.4, but the inverse is true.

Unfortunately, I have to admit we've broken backwards compatibility once since our initial 2.0.0.Final release (in the latest 2.5.0 release), but the changes were in extremely low-level non user-facing areas that should have little impact and see little use at this point, so we did not feel the need to increment to 3.0, certainly not so quickly.

In general, until 3.0.0 is released at some point in the future, all Addons written against the 2.x line should function "forever", and we are trying our hardest to make sure it stays that way.

~Lincoln