[hibernate-dev] Search: dropping support for changes through IndexReader

Sanne Grinovero sanne.grinovero at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 14:15:52 EST 2008

Hi, some more steps towards mass indexing:

do you agree I'll drop the capability to use an IndexReader to make
changes to the index?
This implies I'll simplify the backend by removing all methods working
on an IndexReader (they are not needed anymore),
and is required to reuse the IndexWriter as next improvement.

Also we'll need to change the FSMasterDirectoryProvider to use
Lucene's snapshotting feature instead of
the DirectoryProvider lock (is HSEARCH-152).
Another solution would be to replace the lock-holding with a signal
like "please release it to me for a moment"
or even delegate the task to the thread owning the IndexWriter.

BTW this will mean the DirectoryProvider won't be used by anybody.