[hibernate-dev] Search: dropping support for changes through IndexReader

Hardy Ferentschik hibernate at ferentschik.de
Tue Dec 16 04:57:02 EST 2008

Hi Sanne,

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:15:52 +0100, Sanne Grinovero
<sanne.grinovero at gmail.com> wrote:

> some more steps towards mass indexing

What exactly is actually your definition of "mass indexing"? The use of
FullTextSession.index()
to (re-)build your index?

> do you agree I'll drop the capability to use an IndexReader to make
> changes to the index?
> This implies I'll simplify the backend by removing all methods working
> on an IndexReader (they are not needed anymore),
> and is required to reuse the IndexWriter as next improvement.

I assume you are talking about removing performWork(LuceneWork work,
IndexReader reader)
 from the LuceneWorkDelegate interface. I think that makes sense. I think
we still agree
that it is a good idea to only use the IndexWriter to apply changes.

> Also we'll need to change the FSMasterDirectoryProvider to use
> Lucene's snapshotting feature instead of the DirectoryProvider lock (is
> HSEARCH-152).
> Another solution would be to replace the lock-holding with a signal
> like "please release it to me for a moment"
> or even delegate the task to the thread owning the IndexWriter.

Not sure about this one. I haven't looked into this snapshot feature yet.

> BTW this will mean the DirectoryProvider won't be used by anybody.

Really?

--Hardy