[hibernate-dev] Build/dependency management tools

Juraci Costa jcosta at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 05:20:23 EST 2008

----- "Hardy Ferentschik" <hibernate at ferentschik.de> escreveu:
> Knowing that I might open pandora's box now - what alternatives are
> you talking about?
> I assume you are not referring to ant/ivy.

I'm not :-) I don't like XML at all. As the wise man said: XML is like violence. If it doesn't solve your problem, you're not using enough of it.

I'm specially talking about Buildr[1], which is a DSL based on Ruby specially made for this purpose. Maven repositories are supported on this tool, but I think there would definitely be a not-so-small effort to convert the Maven xml's to buildr scripts. The scripts are much more human readable than XML files, but I suppose it requires an environment with Ruby interpreter. I never did a real build with it before nor read much documentation about it, so I don't know whether their claims are true or not. But if there's enough interest on this matter, I can do some evaluation using our Hibernate projects as target.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/buildr/

- Juca.