[hibernate-dev] [infinispan-dev] Benchmarking 2nd level cache providers?

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed Sep 2 09:25:23 EDT 2009

The best bet for something like this is a separate project which pulls
in the proper hibernate dependencies.  Then we can talk with Juca about
getting them set up on a scheduled run.

However, if you want to have the configuration varied for different
runs, I suggest you wait until after the discussions with the Maven
developers to address the numerous specific issues we have encountered
with Maven.  This is exactly one of the issues "on the docket".  We have
issues with this "varied config" piece in the core/testsuite module.

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 06:20 -0500, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> Totally agree with this, it would be useful also to benchmark other
> parts of Hibernate (not just the cache)
> and as general regression test.
> Also with Hibernate Search I have some "private tests" which are very
> time consuming (an hour or so) which I can't
> commit on trunk as unit tests; I'd like to have them somewhere, maybe
> regularly executed by Continuous Integration
> (too much work for existing Hudson?).
>
> Sanne
>
> 2009/9/1 Galder Zamarreno <galder.zamarreno at redhat.com>:
> >

> > On 08/26/2009 05:48 PM, Mircea Markus wrote:
> >> Can't we write a plugin for the CacheBenchmark fwk?
> >
> > We could potentially do so but we'd be missing loads of things and we'd
> > have to spend a fair bit of time replicating the way Hibernate uses the
> > cache which is not straightforward by any means. Take in account as well
> > that there're several caches and cache usages involved here: entity,
> > collection, query and timestamps and each has a different usage pattern.
> > Bottom line: I don't think trying to emulate this is worth the effort.
> >
> > What is needed here is a Hibernate/JPA load/perf test environment where
> > the most common Hibernate usage patterns are exercised and then you swap
> > 2nd level cache providers. This is really what counts to the users: how
> > quickly I can persist N entities, how quick I can read N times an entity
> > that I've just persisted, how fast I can execute same query N
> > times...etc, these are the use cases where the cache provider must show off.
> >
> > I haven't heard anything from the HB team wrt to this, so I assume they
> > don't have anything like this.

> > --
> > Galder Zamarreño
> > Sr. Software Engineer