[hibernate-dev] [HSearch] Configuration properties

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Mon Jul 12 09:31:17 EDT 2010

On 9 juil. 2010, at 17:46, Hardy Ferentschik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just wondering whether there is a reason why we don't expose the
> configuration properties in SearchFactory?
> I think we talked about this once, but I cannot remember exactly.

There are several reasons but one of them is to know how things are used and how instead in a more type-safe way.

> I noticed that the properties are now exposed in
> StateSearchFactoryImplementor anyways. Maybe
> we could push this all the way down to SearchFactory?

The reason it's in StateSearchFactoryImplementor is for people *not* to access it unless they are in need to clone a SearchFactory

> I need would need access to the properties and several places to for
> example check for hibernate.search.generate_statistics or
> "hibernate.search.jmx_enabled.

Couldn't you have a type-safe object StatisticsConfiguration object containing the already parsed data?

> While looking at the code I also started to wonder whether we need all
> these sub-interfaces for SearchFactory. Currently we have
> SearchFactory -> SearchFactoryIntegrator -> SearchFactoryImplementor ->
> StateSearchFactoryImplementor

SearchFactory is for app developers
SearchFactoryIntegrator is for frameworks like Infinispan (but is still a work in progress, we might end up merging it back with SearchFactoryInplementor)
SearchFactoryInplementor is for components of HSearch to access metadata

> -> Mutable-/Immutable-SearchFactory

These are implementations and not exposed.