[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Core is now using Git

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Fri Oct 8 03:29:36 EDT 2010

On 7 oct. 2010, at 23:20, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, October 07, 2010 01:51:52 pm Steve Ebersole wrote:
>> On Thursday, October 07, 2010 04:30:11 am Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
>>> If you want to contribute a fix or new feature, either use the pure Git
>>> approach, or use the GitHub fork capability (see
>>> http://help.github.com/forking/ and http://help.github.com/pull-requests/
>>> ) The benefit of the GitHub approach is that we can comment on the pull
>>> request and code though I am far from an expert so far and their flow
>>> could easily be improved (slightly confusing).
>>>
>>> #for people with read/write access
>>> git clone git at github.com:hibernate/hibernate-core.git
>>
>> The "GitHub" way though is to fork the org repo and clone that.  I thought
>> that's the workflow we agreed to follow?
>
> Actually having played with this for a few days now I can say that this
> fork/clone approach feels like just extra steps for which I cannot see the
> benefit.  I should have stuck to my guns initially and not let you talk me into
> fork/clone ;)

What I personally do is clone the reference repository "locally" and fork via github. Then on the locally cloned repo I add the fork as a remote
Git remote add perso  git at github.com:joesixpack/hibernate-core.git

That way, I can use the short cut version for simple works and share some branches with others under joesixpack in case I need it. Best of both worlds as I work under the same local repo.