[hibernate-dev] where can I learn about contributing a patch to hibernate?

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Sep 21 17:24:21 EDT 2010

No we are working on 4 elsewhere currently.

The real issue is that Hibernate still does not require JDBC 4 (JDK 1.6)
to operate.  Prior to JDBC 4 there is no standardized way to build a
java.sql.Blob (nor Clob) instance to be able to pass in to the
PreparedStatement.

If you can rely on running in JDK 1.6+ you can actually handle this even
better still by taking the incoming byte[] along with a call to
Connection.createBlob() to make this work in what should be an even more
portable means (meaning it will work on PostgreSQL in addition to all
the other drivers it already works on).  Be aware though that creation
of a Blob will have varying degrees of performance impact in various
drivers.  In semi-pseudo code that would look like:

Blob blob = ps.getConnection().createBlob();
blob.setBytes( 1, bytes );
ps.setBlob( .. );

http://hibernate.org