[hibernate-dev] Avoid need for bidirectional relations in Search

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Wed Dec 7 09:30:12 EST 2011

Without the ORM info, we cannot guess that. Or more specifically we can guess a superset of that. Remember that you can have two (or more) unidirectional associations between two entity types. So we would need to reindex all Places where the Address is referenced in any of the associations. In many ways the bidirectional association is a pre computed query for us. If we don't have it we need to do a full text query to guess.
With the ORM info, we still need to do the query but at least we know which association we are talking about (if the assoc is bidirectional). But in Hibernate, this info is not really carried on to the runtime. So in practice we don't have it.

But if a contributor want to give this idea a try, we could explore it. My guess that it won't be nearly as efficient as what we have today.

Emmanuel