[hibernate-dev] [HSEARCH] Geospatial indexing and queries

Karel Maesen karel at geovise.com
Mon Dec 19 12:16:51 EST 2011

Hi Emmanuel,

I didn't see your mail from 5/12, so I only now read your proposal. Sorry for the late reaction.

I'll give you more feedback but here some quick notes.

I would advise not to use JTS for this case. It's not intended for geographic coordinates (lat/long). That's why it has getX()/getY() accessors which leads to endless confusion as to whether getX() is longitude or latitude. For these straightforward spatial searches (within distance searches), the added dependency of JTS offers imo not enough added-value.

I liked the proposal to use:

> //or
>   .centeredOn()
>     .latitude(double)
>     .longitude(double)

because it makes it clear what the doubles mean. Again, some people are used to lat/long others long/lat - the confusion is quite widespread among users (experts and novices in geospatial).

Regards,

Karel