[hibernate-dev] Still true with Javassist? Any final method prevents Hibernate from creating single-ended association proxies

Robin Sander robin.sander at gmx.net
Fri Jul 8 03:59:51 EDT 2011

Hi all,

excuse me if this list isn't indented for such a question, but I asked this question about a year ago in the forums
without any answers and I think it should be easy to answer for any Hibernate core developer:

According to Hibernate's (3.6.5) reference documentaion (Section 21.1.3, Single-ended association proxies),
such a single-ended association proxy can't be constructed by Hibernate if it contains "any final methods".

My question is, does this restriction apply to getters/setters of persistent fields only or really to any method in an entity class?
As far as I can see Javassist is able to modify final methods as well and even if it were not, why should a method like
 public final String toString() {
   return "...";
 }
prevent Hibernate from using a proxy?