[hibernate-dev] packages

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Wed Aug 29 04:25:06 EDT 2012

On 28 Jan 2012, at 9:49 PM, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> Following a discussion about this on the dev IRC I did a little bit of
> this work today.
>
> See:
> 1)
> http://transcripts.jboss.org/channel/irc.freenode.org/%23hibernate-dev/2012/%23hibernate-dev.2012-08-28.log.html
> 2) https://hibernate.onjira.com/browse/HHH-7556
>
> The first step was moving all BootstrapServiceRegistry related code to
> a new package org.hibernate.boot.registry

+1

> I moved the rest of service defined under org.hibernate.service (that
> package is meant for the infrastructure around services and registries,
> not for services themselves).   Quite a lot of them got moved to
> org.hibernate.engine.  For now.  There was a discussion on IRC about
> getting rid of that package level altogether as it really seems to
> serve no purpose.

I don't really see the purpose of it either. As I mentioned on IRC, if the purpose of the package
to contain the "core" classes, then why are packages like persister not in there. As it stands
now 'engine' does not serve any real purpose imo and could be removed.
The alternative is to actually define what we mean with engine and move packages in and out
of engine to meet this purpose. This is probably much more effort than just dropping it.

> Also, there was some initial discussion about moving the API aspects of
> building a org.hibernate.metamodel.Metadata instance to that
> org.hibernate.boot package as well (since building the Metadata and
> registry references are the bulk of the boot API).

+1 Seems consistent to me. Should probably be done in the end game of the metamodel work though.

--Hardy