[hibernate-dev] Minor issues/questions about Hibernate Core/ORM documentation

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri Jan 13 02:58:30 EST 2012

On Jan 12, 2012, at 10:48 PM, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> On Thu 12 Jan 2012 03:19:29 AM CST, Hardy Ferentschik wrote:
>> Answers inline
>>
>> On Jan 12, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Gail Badner wrote:
>>
>>> I've uploaded the 4.0.1.Final documentatation to http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/core/4.0/.
>>>
>>> Maybe this was already discussed but, should the switch from "core" to "orm" affect the URL for the 4.0 documentation (i.e., http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/orm/4.0/)?
>>
>> I think it makes sense to switch the urls. However, in this case I suggest we also put a redirect in place for http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/core/4.0/ to http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/orm/4.0/
>> Just renaming the directories is probably not a good idea due to bookmarks and people used to go to the 'core' url. If we change to orm we need to update the pointers from
>> http://www.hibernate.org/docs
>
> I agree, we should do a redirect.  I had not planned on changing the physical dir until 4.1 as that is when the new docs would be getting used.  6 in one... if you feel the itch, go for it.

Changing the directory name is easy. For the redirects we will need "service desk" to give us a hand (afaik).

Speaking of re-directs, I thought I change the stable link, but realized that we might need some more redirects.
Currently the main URL looks like this:

http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/stable/core/reference/en-US/html_single/

In 4.0 the main docs are in 'manual' so the URL would be

http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/stable/core/manual/en-US/html_single/

Do we want to stick with 'manual'? If so we might want to consider another redirect. Or we just
rename manual to reference. Was the directory rename intentional?

>>> Also, I noticed that http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/stable/core/ points to 3.6.9.Final docs. Should it point to http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/core/4.0/ (or http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/orm/4.0/)?
>>
>> Stable should definitely point to 4.0. That's independent of whether we rename the urls
> + 1

See above

>>> I really liked how convenient it was to be able to just copy the contents of the documentation directory from the distribution into the staging directory for rsync-ing. The only change I had to make after copying was to change hem/en to hem/en-US. I haven't looked into this, but I imagine that would be an easy thing to fix.
>
> We should update that in the source tree.  But to be honest, hem docs should really just go away as a separate thing.  Their content should be merged into the main docs.

+1 HEM should go away. I thought the relevant parts are already merged.

--Hardy