[hibernate-dev] [HV] Implementing method validation (was "HV-562")

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Thu May 10 09:01:08 EDT 2012

> nice post on the release, this should get started everyone with 4.3.
> And we can finally focus on HV 5 :)

thanks :-)

>>> I'm looking forward to implementing the new API, this should be
>>> fun :) I feel that it should be possible to split the work into
>>> independent chunks which we can tackle in parallel.
>>
>> That sounds good. In a first cut we might be able to just try to compile the latest BV SNAPSHOT and introduce the missing
>> methods by introducing placeholders. Once the existing build passes again we can already push a SNAPSHOT and start
>> filling in the gaps.
>
> I've created a branch for method validation [1], bumped the dependency
> to the BV API to 1.1.Alpha1 and applied the minimal changes required
> to get rid of any compilation errors (added
> UnsupportedOperationExceptions within the new methods). I've also
> added "TODO HV-571" markers everywhere, so we can't forget everything
> :)

Awesome. I was planning to do this, but since you already got started … :-)
Personally I don't like working on branches. Instead I would like to  continue working on master.
I took your branch and used the TestNG suite files to exclude the failing tests in
engine and tck-runner. Have a look at https://github.com/hferentschik/hibernate-validator/commits/HV-571

What do you think about pushing this to master. As we develop the missing features we just
re-enable things.

> Regarding the actual implementation, I think there are two large
> blocks, which might be addressed in parallel: a) implementing the new
> validation methods and b) implementing the extensions to the meta data
> API (plus some other things such as changes to ConfigurationImpl
> etc.).

+1 I could for example look into some some the metadata stuff. But in the end I would leave it
to you to take whatever you like. I will then take the slack. Let's just
make sure we are in sync what we are doing.

--Hardy