[hibernate-dev] Running Jenkins on personal branches

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Jun 5 04:38:07 EDT 2013

I also was thinking of creating a personal job there which would
monitor a specific branch name on my personal github fork, maybe
"toTest" or "forJenkins".

Another option is to use parametric jobs: you have to trigger them
from the UI and the wizard will ask you to fill in a couple of
parameters which are applied to the build configuration; these could
be for example 1- repository 2- commitId

That could allow us to have a single job per project for all of us;
ideally this could be started by REST too, so making some script
possible to trigger it from your local box commandline.. it would be
trivial to have such a script auto-detect the needed parameters.

I'm not sure how such a script would deal with authentication: we
require authenticated users to trigger jobs manually. I think you
could obtain an OAuth token from the github server to use on Jenkins,
using the Github feature of creating application specific passwords
(which you would then set as a constant in your script).

If we get the REST variant to work it would be great to provide it as
a service of the build tool (not thinking of Maven here): we could
have, on top of traditional tasks such as "install", "release",
"test", also "remote-test". This would be especially cool for ORM and
OGM developers as you could get feedback from the full range of
databases without installing them locally.

Sanne