[hibernate-dev] ValidationMode

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Mon Mar 4 10:57:29 EST 2013

Applying validation at both levels has a few benefits:

- DDL means that constraints are also applied to non Java apps or even
  third party apps not using Bean Validation
- applying the constraint during the CRUD events provides more
  contextual exception reports, better than what we can do by converting
  the DB exception.
- constraints more elaborated don't have full counter-parts in DDL.

At the time, I did find enhancing an existing property better than introducing a
new one. I still do for what it's worth.

Emmanuel