[hibernate-dev] HHH-8670 another EntityManager.find() not returning null question

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Tue Nov 5 05:13:17 EST 2013

On 5 November 2013 00:20, Scott Marlow <smarlow at redhat.com> wrote:
> HHH-8670 is about EntityManager.find() not returning null when a runtime
> exception is caught when performing the find().  Returning null when a
> ClassCastException (or any other runtime exception) occurs seems
> confusing to me, but I suppose that we could log a DEBUG warning (like
> we did for EntityNotFoundException).
>
> Does anyone disagree with changing Hibernate ORM to return null when a
> runtime exception is caught during the EntityManager.find() operation?

I would disagree yes, seems wrong. A failure is a failure, a null
would imply the entity doesn't exist which is misleading.
Shouldn't it simply throw the runtime exception?
And ideally fix the ClassCastException to not ever happen? I might
have misunderstood how that is happening: the way you describe it I
got the impression that there's a bug in ORM, but even if this was a
user mistake, by changing this semantic you wouldn't give the
opportunity to the user to fix his code.

Sanne